Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Make Mine A Double

The kids and I attended an attachment parenting group today. It was nice, I suppose. A good enough reason to hang out with some like-minded moms--and someone had brought cookies, which can pretty much make any function a good one, in my book.

But there was one comment that sort of irked me, and is still nagging at me a bit. The mom who had invited me said, as she watched my boys run about, "Watching your kids makes me realize that my son isn't so wild and crazy after all--he's just a boy." I'm sure she didn't mean to imply that my sons were misbehaving (although they could have been a little more subdued). Yet she was kind of implying that my kids were at least a little out of control.

Maybe I was just feeling defensive. Mine were the oldest children in attendance, and the most (hyper)active. They weren't hitting anyone, or grabbing toys from anyone, or being mean--but they certainly were running. And climbing.

Enh, whatever. I don't have any new insights about moms picking at each other's self-esteem. I just felt a little deflated. And that didn't exactly make me want to return for the next meeting. Maybe I'll go with a mini-bar in tow! That'll sure smooth over all the rough edges!

1 Comments:

Blogger The Zero Boss said...

I wouldn't worry. Sounds like she was saying that your kids are a lot alike, and are both hyperactive, and that this doesn't make either of you "bad parents".

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home