Monday, May 01, 2006

At Last

Babywatch 2006 has ended, thusly:

On the morning of the 25th, I dropped N at school, and G and I went to a nearby mall to chill at the indoor playground while we waited on the shops to open. While I was buying supplies to finish some diapers, the lady in line behind me asked when I was due, and I replied with, "Any moment now, God willing." As I said it, I realized that the Braxton Hicks contractions I'd been feeling were getting downright uncomfortable, and suddenly a light bulb blinked on over my head. This was a very interesting way to begin labour--the two previous times, I was sort of dropped into the middle of active labour, no wind-up. I felt a thrill in my tummy (in between the tightening of the contractions) that this could finally be it! G and I hustled off to N's school to collect him, since I was expecting labour to come on fast and furious soon, like the other two had, and I wanted to get him before I was unable to drive. Ha!

We came home, called the appropriate people (DaddyO, the midwife, my mom, the aunt who had offered to look after the kids if necessary), and waited. And waited some more. After lunch, I went to bed and managed a nap. Upon waking, I decided things were starting to pick up (about time, I thought), so we summoned the midwife. I was pretty sure we'd have a baby by dinnertime.

By dinnertime there was no baby. I was feeling some back labour, and was getting tired again, so I ate a slice of pizza and went back to bed. I think it was around 8:00 when I woke, and now I wanted to be in the pool. So in we went; now I was aiming to have a baby by about 10:00. 10:00 came and went, and still there was no baby. By now we had determined that he wasn't positioned properly, and it was just taking time for him to get where he needed to be. All the counterpressure techniques we tried to ease the back labour seemed utterly useless, so we tried every position we could think of to help move the little dude down and out. Eventually I left the pool to try a couple of other positions, and at long last my water broke, with amazing force. At that point, the baby seemed to literally fall into position, and I needed to be back in the water now. I practically sprinted back to the pool (now there's an image), and just fourteen minutes later, at 12:50 am on April 26, J was born.

He arrived face first, which explained why he was such a long time coming--that's a tough way to come into the world. But he was perfect and lovely, covered in vernix and ready to nurse. And poop. He gifted me with a little wad of meconium before we'd even exited the pool. Nice to meet you too, kiddo.


He's snoozing beside me as I type, his eyelids moving around as he dreams--of what? I have to touch the soft fuzz on his head, I can't stop myself, and he makes a small noise without stirring. This is what I've been waiting for.

It was worth the wait.

1 Comments:

Blogger jenB said...

HEY! i am so glad you are posting. i would love to touch that fuzzy head. one margarita won't effect the wee one will it? i just bought some good tequila tonight.

Many congratulations!!!

xoxoxoxoxoxox

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home